Marketing to the Power of One
Written by Roland Bydlon, VP of Programming
I had the opportunity to listen to Joel Book, Principle for eMarketing Research and Education at ExactTarget, at one of our American Marketing Association meetings recently. He gave a talk titled: Marketing to the Power of ONE. The theme was that we used to market to the masses. Now we need to market to the individual and serving has become the new selling. Rather than pushing a message to our customer telling them what to do we now need to provide our customer with information relevant to them and encourage them to communicate with us and share our information with others. The following are my notes from the presentation. Joel also added a good list of great resources for mobile that are included at the end.
Four rights. The…
Right message to the
Right customer for the
Right market at the
All marketing is cross channel marketing. The customer is in control. We are not.
Serving has become the new selling:
- Need to find and cultivate advocates.
- Brand advocates are the most successful salesman.
Websites are the gateway to engagement.:
- Make it easy for a customer to raise their hand.
- 71% of new business leads will come from the corporate or brand website by 2015. (Source: SiriusDecisions)
Put yourself in a position to score! 35% of company’s “most valuable” email subscribers are acquired via the corporate or brand website. (Source: The Relevancy Group)
Example: Engagement begins with registration at Scotts.com “It’s all about you! Jump in and customize your experience. Register Now.”
- Scott gives website visitors “a reason” to register.
- Scotts invites website visitors to subscribe to Lawn Care Update.
- Scotts delivers personalized content to website visitors.
Email is the cornerstone of the customer engagement strategy:
- 66% of US Consumers have made a purchase as a results of a marketing message received by email. (Source: ExactTarget Research)
- 93% of U.S.. online consumers are email subscriber, receiving at least one permission based email per day. (Source: ExactTarget Research Report: Subscribers, Fans & Followers, 2011
Hope is not a strategy!
- What is your lead development strategy?
- How do you convert a “like” to a follower to a website visitor to a subscriber?
- 75% of social media users say email is the best way for companies to communicate with them. (Source: MarketingSherpa)
Your biggest ambassadors are your satisfied customers.
- Give them personalized information that is easy to share.
- Social drives to the Web Site.
- Scotts Invites Facebook Fans to Subscribe to Lawn Care Update ( And 50% Convert! )
- They get a coupon as a thank you.
- One of every 2 customers that “likes” Scotts becomes an email subscriber
- 50% of Consumers are More Likely to Buy after Following a Brand on Twitter.
Give to get…….Nothing is more powerful than the endorsement of a Brand Advocate!
- Delivers exclusive offers
- Drives traffic
- Extends customer service
- By the end of 2012, more people will be reading email on a mobile device than on the desktop or on webmail. (Source: Return Path – May 2012)
- The number of U.S. smartphone users will reach 115.8 million in 2012, and grow to 137.5 million in 2013. (Source: eMarketer)
- “Now is the time to embrace mobile as the next marketing frontier.” Melissa Parrish, senior analyst at Forrester Research, Inc. (Source: Mobile Marketing: Three Principles For Success – February 2012)
Design Email for Mobile
- 36% of emails worldwide are opened and read on mobile devices. (Source: Litmus, April 2012)
- Anatomy of a Perfect Mobile Email By Justine Jordan
Great Resource for Mobile Messaging
In the Field Guide to Mobile Messaging, you’ll get tips and detailed instructions for building mobile messaging (SMS) programs to:
- Enable consumers to opt-in to your email newsletter
- Send customer service alerts to customers
- Execute marketing campaigns on Facebook and Twitter
- Deliver relevant and timely promotions to consumers
Is your website mobile ready?
- optimize for mobile
- optimize for conversion
- By 2013, mobile phones will overtake PCs as the most common Web access device worldwide (Source: Gartner, 2012)
- 67% of Consumers are More Likely to Buy a Company’s product or Service if their Website is Mobile-Friendly! (Source: Google/Sterling Research/SmithGeiger September 2012)
- “If you don’t do anything else, get a mobile-enabled site.” (Source: Peter Fitzgerald, Google’s retail technology & business markets director.)
- For Mobile – Headlines should be at least 30 pt. Text should be at least 14 pt
Consumers have More Influence than You Realize
- Surprising Findings about Brand Advocates
- 30% of brand advocates recommend products or services weekly
- 61% consider buying the product recommended by a Brand Advocate
- 22% of consumers buy the product recommended
- Real Time
- Real Personal
- Cross Channel
- Have Fun!!
Return Path Blog – Mobile Email
Practical advice for improving mobile email effectiveness
Tools for previewing how your mobile email will render by device
Litmus Email Testing
Enables you to preview email on 30+ email clients and mobile devices
Anatomy of a Perfect Mobile Email
By Justine Jordan